Subject: [Leica] Mr. B. D. Colen speaks
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2013 15:01:07 -0700

To ask whether black and white or color is superior is like asking
whether a string quartet is "better" than a full orchestra. It's almost
a meaningless question. You can say what you prefer, you can say that
this one or that one works better in certain situations.

I shoot both. Digital is great because I don't have to limit myself when
shooting.  I let the picture tell me whether it wants to be in B&W.

I think this shot works both ways. But I prefer a tighter crop with the
B&W.  With the color, I want to see the green field with other couples
on it.

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at N04/9231959705/>
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at N04/9221845714/>

I generally do prefer B&W for people pictures. I think it helps remove
other distractions and focus attention on the people, as B.D. said.
There is also something beautiful and special about black and white.
Perhaps that's because I spent many hours looking at old Life Magazines
and books of the great photojournalists when I was young.  I've noticed
that many thirty or fortysomething Americans prefer color, but my
Russian and Eastern European friends of the same age almost always
prefer my B&W shots. Maybe we just like the visual language we learned
as kids, just as most of us prefer the popular music from our childhood
and teen years.

When you're in places like Tina's Central America or Jayanand's India,
color is such an overwhelming part of what you see, so it begs to be used.

Still, I have to ask this:  Tina, I'm thinking of your wonderful grainy
B&W Noctilux shots in Central American huts, often by firelight.  They
have a specialness in part because they are B&W. Suppose you had an
M(240) back then, or something else that could take decent photos at ISO
3200 or 6400.  Would you have used color?

--Peter

Quoth Jay Burleson:

http://www.the.me/b-d-colen-on-the-distraction-of-color-the-subject-is-black-and-white/#ixzz2YKfnZYo6

Replies: Reply from rgacpa at gmail.com (Robert Adler) ([Leica] Mr. B. D. Colen speaks)