Subject: [Leica] IMG: Black-backed Woodpecker
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 01:08:26 -0400 (EDT)

The Black-backed Woodpecker could be described as the ambulance-chaser of
birds.  Their location from one year to the next can be difficult to predict
but most often they're found near a forest in distress, whether from a
recent fire or from a disease infestation.  This bird is attracted to the
insects that follow a fire or are otherwise prevalent in an unhealthy forest.

A Black-backed Woodpecker nest was recently found in mountainous El Dorado
County, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.  News of a Black-backed
Woodpecker sighting spreads quickly and numerous birders take time off work
or otherwise ditch rational occupations to catch a glimpse of this elusive
woodpecker.

This particular family was about a mile up a popular trail that leads to the
Desolation Wilderness area; a bit rocky in places, with a good supply of
mosquitoes and other biting insects along the way with a bubbly creek to
keep the hiker company.  Yesterday I scouted the location and managed a few
distant photos using the 280 APO and 2x extender; not knowing what the
conditions would be like I carried a lightweight tripod and minimal other
supplies.

This morning I returned with the intention of getting good quality photos;
to this end I decided to use the 280 APO and no more than 1.4x extender so
that I could use faster shutter speeds; I wanted to photograph the birds in
the morning shade because the light at the nest becomes too harsh after
about 1 PM; and I brought the big Gitzo instead of the little Bogen.
Snacks, water, a folding stool and a lightweight blind rounded out the
supplies.

I figured the blind would allow me to get close enough to use the 280+1.4x
but once I set it up at the site the male woodpecker freaked out.  The
female was much more tolerant but the male refused to approach the nest;
this would not do.  I backed off, took the blind down and watched for a few
minutes as the adults fed the nestlings.  I needed a Plan B.

While I was setting the camera up and before setting up the blind, the male
had no problem coming to the nest and feeding his babies.  He's used to
seeing hikers all day.  It was the blind that bothered him.

Plan B

sit and wait at a distance the birds don't mind
watch and wait as they feed the peckerlings and learn that I'm not a threat
after a few feeding cycles, inch forward and repeat.

Since the duration of feeding cycles ranged from seconds to half an hour,
and I wanted to be certain both adults were comfortable before I inched
forward, Plan B took about 5 hours and in that time I moved ten feet.

The result: http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/picidae/bbwood03.html

Disclaimer: in processing I enhanced the contrast of the bird while leaving
the tree trunk and background alone.

technical stuff: R8/DMR, 280mm f/4 APO + 1.4x APO-Extender-R, big tripod.
All comments welcome.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com