Subject: [Leica] Putting the SBOOI to use
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 21:42:55 -0600

I can't find the link now but a few days ago Rabs posted an old selfie he
shot with a IIIf and 50mm Elmar with a SBOOI finder mounted in the shoe.
 I'm kind of hooked on that finder myself and have been using one for the
better part of 50 yrs.  I recently acquired a Canon G15 and thought I'd
give it a try with the SBOOI.  So here's what it looks like in use.

https://picasaweb.google.com/117151061481593494544/RecentUploads#5894737117096298722

The thing that makes it workable is that the Canon allows you to set the
zoom to discreet intervals (28,35,50,85,100,140) using a knurled ring on
the front of the camera, and you can set it to 50mm without looking when
you turn it on, and if you turn it off in that mode it comes on at 50mm the
next time too.  It's surprisingly workable and accurate, and you still have
the optical built-in finder for the other focal lengths (or just use the
LCD).  The whole thing weighs around 13 oz (370g) and feel really solid on
the shoulder or in hand.  I keep the aspect ratio set to 2:3 to match the
finder and it's like the old days again.

I also have the Leitz 35mm bright frame finder and now keep it mounted on
an Oly EPL-1 with the 20mm Lumix.  That works well too.

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE

Replies: Reply from jsmith342 at gmail.com (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Putting the SBOOI to use)