Subject: [Leica] Brush strokes
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 16:45:45 -0500

Larry Typed:  Tina should remember that a picture printed in a magazine has
been rephotographed one or more times to make the printing plates and is
subject to the inherent limitations of the rotogravure or letterpress
process. Quality is lost at each step. A river doesn't rise higher than its
source. Compare the magazine or book picture with a first generation
original to see what I mean.?

?Larry, it is not Tina's rule; her clients demand that level of image.  It
is precisely the reason that images undergo some loss that the agencies
want that.  Agencies also sell to diverse clients, and the end product
might be used for anything but roto or letterpress.

When I was doing interpretive work for museums and visitor centers, we
bought a good deal of stock.  Some was used for mural sized background,
some folded into projected slideshows and movies and some used in
collateral material such as brochures and flyers.

Those of us who produce work for magazines know that any image we submit
may end up as postage stamp sized, or on the other hand, it may be the
cover.

Then you have the art director who loves to crop . . .  just part of the
reason for needing big, good files.

--
Regards,

Sonny