Subject: [Leica] Leica or not to Leica
From: jsmith342 at gmail.com (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 06:09:57 -0500

In light of the current prices for Leica M bodies and a 50 asph Summicron, I
expected to see some folks comparing them to medium format digital cameras
in that same price range (Pentax, Mamiya). I think that the easy portability
and handling of Leica cameras are perhaps foremost on the minds of the
shooters on the LUG. Thus, when the likes of Fuji mirrorless cameras and m43
slip into the conversation.

I would be interested to see how the Leica M monochrome version compares to
a Pentax 645 digital for shooting black and white. The results I am seeing
from the group using the Monochrome body are nothing short of amazing. I
doubt that Fuji would follow suit, but if they did, I would unabashedly buy
a Fuji Monochrome. And despite the OT nature of Fuji discussions here, I
love looking at the results the Fuji X100 and Xpro here.

I bought my first Leica (M3 with 50/1.5 Summarit) from my graduate school
advisor at Tulane. He was willing to let it go because he felt that the
slides he was shooting with his Olympus Pen were just as good. That was in
1976, so these comparisons with "toys" are nothing new. ;-)

Jeffery

(glad to be back to shooting and seeing the shoot-outs here online)