Subject: [Leica] Vivien Maier
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:11:55 +0100

Fascinating Documentary on the bbc last night about Vivien Maier:

<http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0366jd5/imagine..._Summer_2013_Vivian_Maier_Who_Took_Nannys_Pictures/>

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0366jd5/imagine..._Summer_2013_Vivian_Maier_Who_Took_Nannys_Pictures/

Like most things VM it leaves unanswered as many questions as it solves.
Quite a
lot of her early life.

I hadn't known that she had photographed Dali outside the "Five French
Photographers" (Ronis, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Doisneau, Izis, and Brassa?)
exhibition at MoMA in 1951/52.

"The incredible story of a mysterious nanny who died in 2009 leaving behind a
secret hoard - thousands of stunning photographs. Never seen in her lifetime,
they were found by chance in a Chicago storage locker and auctioned off
cheaply.

Now Vivian Maier has gone viral and her magical pictures sell for thousands
of
dollars. Vivian was a tough street photographer, a secret poet of suburbia.
In
life she was a recluse, a hoarder, spinning tall tales about her French
roots.
Presented by Alan Yentob, the film includes stories from those who knew her
and
those who revealed her astonishing work."

I came away with the feeling that something happened to her at some point in
the
early '50s about which the whole story pivots. But we'[ll probably never
know what.

Peter
--

Dr Peter Dzwig