Subject: [Leica] Super Moon
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&E Cummer)
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 14:23:53 -0700

> Hi Luggers,
> Inspired by Bob Baron and others I got up at 2 am Saturday and managed to
> sneak this shot before the cloud cover obscured the lunar perigee moon.
>
> <
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Canada2013/Full-MoonW.jpg.html
>>

> http://tinyurl.com/oor3lch
>
> Taken with the Nikon 300 f4.0 plus 2X extender on the D800E tripod
> mounted. F11 @ 1/125 ISO 400. Cropped to about 1/3 in CS6.
> Please look large. C&C always welcome.
> Howard (on foggy Pender today)

Nice one, Howard, and I'm really impressed that an old guy like you could
get up that early.  <g>

However, I do have this question for you and the other mooners on the LUG:
Why are some of our shots of this event showing the moon in a yellowish
cast while others tend toward gray?  Is it because of what's in the air at
any particular location?  (I know we often get great sunsets here in
Oklahoma City because we are seeing the sun and clouds through dust that
has blown in from Texas.)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Bob+Baron/W_3003188Moon.jpg.html

--Bob (2 days younger than Howard)

Hi Bob,
Well I didn't set an alarm - it was just bright enough to stir me and when I
got up to pee I saw the moon shining brightly through the clouds.
I managed to get out on the deck and set up in the dark without waking
Esther - a major consideration - and popped off just one shot
before the clouds rolled over the moon. In terms of processing I didn't
change the colour cast from RAW so what you see is more or less
what the camera saw. Perhaps it is less yellow than your picture because
there is less dust and more humidity in the air here on the "Wet" coast.
Cheers
Howard