Subject: [Leica] Leica Newbe
From: vroger at gmail.com (Roger Rubin)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 15:17:04 -0400

From: Roger Rubin <vroger at gmail.com>
To: "lug-request at leica-users.org" <lug-request at leica-users.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 15:14:04 -0400
Subject: Leica Vario X2
Hi All:
Well, I guess that everything in this list will have to do with the
announcement of an hour ago by Leica as to the new X-2 Vario. What ever
happened to Lincoln's statement  "You can fool all of the people some of
the time...."
Leica has once again put onto the landscape a digicam which has specs that
are anything but impressive. The only thing offered here is an APS-C sensor
and the fact that there is a Solms manufacturer. In my opinion the D-Lux 6
(Panasonic.LX-7) is far more versatile at 1/3 of the price. Now this lens
is an f3.5 to 6.4 when extended. The Leica branded lens on the V-Lux4
(Panasonic FZ200) is faster with a maximum aperture of f2.8, which is
retained throughout the zoom range of 25 through 600 (35mm equiv.).

The sharpness of the V-Lux4/FZ200 is without peer- APS-C is utterly
unnecessary. See:

http://v-images.smugmug.com/Other/FZ200-DANCE-PARADE-IN-NEW-YORK/29498432_Kb8R8b#!i=2520735240&k=bjVsHbx&lb=1&s=XL

The Summilux 25mm which is a m4/3 lens is similarly fabulous. Neither of
the above 2 lenses is produced in Germany and that has not hampered their
quality one whit. In my opinion, the new digicam is anything but really
useful and costs a premium price. vroger