Subject: [Leica] Ilford print lab
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 10:53:42 -0700

By the way, the silver print is no longer the top dog for archival B&W.
 Carbon is king.  See the fade test data, below:  (I'm not sure how the
formatting will hold.)

Aardenburg Imaging (http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/) uses summary
metrics that are probably not familiar to most.  The "I* Color" measures
the extent to which color has shifted.  "I* Tone" measures only the Lab L
(relative grayscale density) shift.  Both of these are weighted to take
into consideration human perceptual characteristics.  The Delta-e, of
course, is the familiar total color and tone (Lab A, B, and L) shift, not
weighted by our visual perception characteristics.  With the I* Color and
I* Tone, the higher the score, the better.  100.0 is perceptually perfect.
 With Delta-e, the lower the better.

Aardenburg Imaging fade test results at
50 MLux-hrs of exposure:

                                     I* Color     I* Tone     Delta-e

Ilford Galerie FB Silver

        Average                    90.9         98.8          1.4

        Worst                       71.7         97.9          3.2
        50% test patch         94.8                          1.0

Ilford FB selenium toned

        Average                    92.5         98.8          1.2

        Worst                       75.5         97.4          2.8

        50% test patch          96.2                         0.9

"Eboni" 100% carbon on Premier Art 204 gsm paper

        Average                  100.0         99.0          0.3

        Worst                       99.8         97.7          0.6

        50% test patch        100.0                         0.2

Note that this carbon ink sample is now at 120 Mlux-hrs, and the 50% test
patch results are identical to what is shown, above, for 50 Mlux-hrs. (I am
the proud inventor of this inkset.)

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Ilford print lab)