Subject: [Leica] Long delays before your posts reach the LUG?
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 11:26:07 -0700

If you sometimes post to the LUG and it is many hours before it appears, or
it never appears, or you get back a rejection notice saying that it is too
long, please read this.

Some email programs handle "Reply" by appending to your reply the entire
text of the message that you are replying to. So, if you see a 20kb message
that says something you like, and you reply saying "I agree with that", your
reply is now 20kb instead of 5 words.
In addition, some email software appends TWO COPIES of the message that
you're replying to, so if you answer "I agree with that" to a 20kb message,
your reply might be 50kb.

The LUG mail software does not allow messages bigger than 20kb. If you send
something bigger than 100kb, it just vanishes. If you send something between
20kb and 100kb, the message is routed to me for approval. Sometimes I see it
quickly and approve or reject it quickly. Sometimes I don't.

If, when you are replying to a message, you delete all of the automatic text
before you start typing your reply, everything will be better.

On a Mac, you can do this by typing command-A (?A) and then hitting the
"delete" key.
On a Windows machine, you can do this by typing ctrl-A and then hitting the
"delete" key.
Unix and Linux and other mailers are generally smart enough not to do this,
so you needn't worry.

Replies: Reply from ric at cartersxrd.net (RicCarter) ([Leica] Long delays before your posts reach the LUG?)
Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Long delays before your posts reach the LUG?)