Subject: [Leica] Kumbh Mela
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 17:25:44 +0530

I had been to the Kumbh Mela this year in February, to what is generally
accepted to be the largest congregation of human beings on the face of the
earth, and which occurs once every 12 years in the confluence of three
rivers, the Ganges, the Yamuna and a mythological underground river called
the Saraswathi - the spot is called the Sangam - in the city of Allahabad
in North India. It was an amazing experience, even though it was raining
pretty heavily throughout the trip, which meant that photographically it
was a bit of a washout. Only on the last day before leaving Allahabad did
some decent weather break through, and I got some photography done.

I have just started processing the photographs, and I am starting with a
couple of shots of the branch of Sadhus called the Naga, who are worshipers
of the god Shiva. They are amongst the most revered amongst the sadhus,
because they have forsaken everything of the real world, and go around
stark naked with long locks of hair coiled on their head. They are seldom
seen except for these major religious occasions, when they come down from
the remote aeries where they normally stay. They were conceived centuries
ago (8th-9th Century AD) as the warriors of Hinduism, and many still carry
some sort of symbolic weapon with them even today - swords, tridents,
spears, etc. They are also categorized, even today, into "akharas" or
regiments. They rub ash on their bodies, and smoke a good amount of
cannabis to keep out the cold. They are amongst the most photographed of
all Sadhus, because they have the right to be the first to lead all the
pilgrims into the water as day breaks. I was not present for that occasion,
but did meet a couple of them relaxing - they were very cool about being
photographed, and also talked to me for a while, before blessing me and
sending me on my way:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/India/kumbh/Kumbh_2013-20130217-626.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/India/kumbh/Kumbh_2013-20130217-642.jpg.html

Please see LARGE.

Comments and criticism, as ever, welcome.

Cheers
Jayanand

Replies: Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] Kumbh Mela)
Reply from j2m46 at hotmail.fr (Jean-Michel Mertz) ([Leica] Kumbh Mela)