Subject: [Leica] Street Creds
From: rgacpa at gmail.com (Robert Adler)
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 18:43:54 -0700

On Sunday at the SF Carnaval I was issued a press pass which not only
allowed me to go on the parade side of the barrier, but also seemed to
assure bystanders that I was legit. I noticed they looked at my press pass
after I asked them if I could photograph them, and, to a person, allowed
me. For me this made it extremely comfortable approaching folks.

The National Press Photographers Association (NPPA) issues NPPA IDs to
members. I understand this is not the same as a press pass, usually issued
by event organizers. Nor do I want to be an ambulance chaser. But I have
read here that often, when confronted by individuals (either citizens or
law enforcement/security) it is good to have some kind of credential that
shows you're legit.

I also know this isn't what street photographers who are purists would
consider "cricket", but having this as a security blanket in my wallet will
give me a certain level of comfort I think I need be able to approach
strangers, especially if they challenge me...

So I'd love to read your thoughts on this. Thanks in advance,
Bob

--
Bob Adler

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Street Creds)