Subject: [Leica] Outage
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 10:41:30 -0700

On Monday May 20 I got a call from someone I didn't know saying that my late
best friend's widow was in the emergency room in Princeton and had just been
diagnosed with a spinal tumor from diffuse large B cell lymphoma and would
after palliative treatment be released to two friend-of-a-friend types. They
called me as a last resort because they couldn't find anyone else to whom to
hand her off, and she wasn't in any shape to take care of herself.

I instantly got on an airplane to go deal with it. I'm pretty much all she's
got left. To Burlington, New Jersey, which is a far suburb of Philadelphia.

Before the airplane reached cruising altitude, a critical component in my
server complex failed that resulted in my entire internet operation being
offline. Not only was the LUG down, but all of my personal and family stuff
was offline as were the mailboxes of the other 1900 people for whom I run
email service (not everyone trusts gmail).

Juggling my time between dealing with the cancer patient and remote
diagnosis of the network problem, by Wednesday evening I determined that the
problem was the HP2848 switch that connects my house to its fiber optic link
to the internet exchange. These devices are not supposed to fail, enough so
that HP offers an unconditional lifetime warranty should one ever fail. Fat
lot of good that does at 2am when you have a broken one.

You can't just get a new device and stick it in. These things have to be
configured. And of course all of the configuration information is on servers
that I can't reach because of the outage.

By various processes too complex to explain here, a team of 6 people
coordinated by my daughter Elizabeth managed to locate a replacement and get
it configured and installed.

This is by far the worst outage I've had in the 20 years I've been doing
this. I couldn't even read my own email. Now that I can read it again, it
has hundreds of "hey, is the server down?" messages. Forgive me if I don't
answer them individually.

I'm leaving my cancer patient in paid-for hands and heading home tomorrow.
None of that gear would *dare* to fail when I'm home, though.

Whew.

Brian Reid
LUG Saloon Keeper and part-time unlicensed oncology nurse

Replies: Reply from leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans) ([Leica] Outage)
Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Outage)
Reply from gerry.walden at me.com (Gerry Walden) ([Leica] Outage)
Reply from kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner) ([Leica] Outage)