Subject: [Leica] Mandalay
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 17:31:46 -0700

Hello again Luggers,
On day 4 we flew from Bagan to Mandalay. Four domestic airlines fly small
turbo prop planes on the same circular route twice a day - Yangon - Bagan -
Mandalay - Hiho (for Inle Lake)  and back to Yangon. All passengers for all
flights wait in a single large un-air-conditioned waiting room and leave
from the same exit. For boarding the airline ground staff hold up a sign
with the flight number and airline name on it and shout out "Boarding!
Boarding!" in Burmese and English. There is a rush to line up and passengers
for other flights are turned away until it is their turn with another sign.
The ground staff counts boarding passes collected for the flight and then,
if the count is short, they search for stragglers, wagging the sign as they
walk through the terminal shouting "Last Call, Last Call!" Few people get
left behind, I'm told, so the simple system works well enough.

In Mandalay, we went to see the U Bein Bridge, made of teak, 1.2 km long and
over 200 years old. We were advised to charter a boat to get the best view
of the bridge and the sunset.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Burma2013/HCSunseteakbridgeMandalayw.jpg.html>

http://tinyurl.com/cucf63h

And here is the bridge the monks silhouetted against the setting sun. The X
Pro 1 and the 90 Elmarit from the boat.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Burma2013/BridgeSilhouw.jpg.html>

http://tinyurl.com/dx5lxae

In the lake at sunset, a buffalo herder floated by riding the head buffalo
and directing him to swim to shore leading the rest of the herd home:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Burma2013/WaterBoyCUw.jpg.html>

http://tinyurl.com/cfnje66

Here's another view of the buffalo boy:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Burma2013/WaterBuff2Hw.jpg.html>