Subject: [Leica] Filters and the monochrome M
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 11:50:05 +0930

I'm curious of those of you with the M monochrom have been using
> traditional filters as you would with black and white.

I do.

> What has your experience been? Have you tried shooting an M9 with the same
> filter and comparing the monochrome conversion to the M mono?

I use a light yellow outside in sunlight to bring the colour response back
to flat, but I do often photograph under blue skies.

The most noticeable thing with the Monochrom is that you can really see the
focus shift, noise and speed changes across the tones.  It always happened
with film but it was harder to see.  With the Monochrom, it is really
obvious.

A good example, taken with a medium yellow, to emphasize tones-to the eye
the sky here was almost one shade:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Europe_2012/Italy/albatross.jpg.html

And this:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/MM/L1000811-Edit.jpg.html
Was in incredibly flat light with a yellow-green

But you can also get away with less need for filters than there was with
film, because the files are so manipulable.

Marty

Replies: Reply from abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Filters and the monochrome M)