Subject: [Leica] Is Eggleston in the right? What is the meaning of "limited edition"?
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 18:32:18 -0500

On Apr 9, 2013, at 12:40 PM, Bill Pearce wrote:

> We haven't gotten to the other piece of the limited edition scam: The
> Artist's proof. I've seen instances where after a limited edition is sold
> out, a flood of AP's appears. Seems like another way to get more blood
> from the turnip.

Generally, in the case of printmakers with integrity,
The Artist's Proofs are made first - leading up to the edition -
used to determine how an edition may be printed.

I've printed very few "Editions."
Most all of my prints are "Artist's Proofs"
and numbered as such with roman numerals.

It would be fairly normal, if a "Limited Edition" were to sell out
for a printmaker to also make available "Artist's Proofs"
which he or she considers worthy of their name.

Whether it's a "Scam" or not really depends on the integrity of the
printmaker.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com