Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Cataract Surgery
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 11:25:57 -0700

Hi everyone!  I'm feeling better today, no more "Noctilux Pupil
Syndrome" this morning. Still some sensitivity to bright light and
sometimes a sense of shimmering or vibration in the new eye. I remember
this from last time, it should pass in a few days.  I can see really
well in the distance with my "new" eye. It's bright and vivid, and
"white balance" is distinctly more bluish than my other eye, which was
done two years ago.

So now I just have to be good, not rub the eye, don't bend, lift heavy
objects, or play the bassoon for a few days, and put three different eye
drops in three times per day.

Tina, those pictures were "too much information" when I got home from
surgery, but I looked at them in the evening, and they are fascinating.
The way it's done now, they make a smaller incision, fold the new
implant (lens) in half, and let it unfold within the eye itself.  Less
invasive and a shorter recovery time.

Every time I see medical photos, I'm struck by how modern medicine is
both a miracle and a bit of Frankenstein.  We have to get over our fear
of the latter and embrace the former. This is a good time to be alive.
I got these cataracts a bit younger than most.  I was thinking how if
I'd been born 100 years ago, I'd most likely have been nearly blind by
my mid-60s.

I was thinking about color photographs of surgery vs. the B&Ws in Ted's
books. The B&W in more abstract, and somehow doesn't gross me out. The
full color sometimes does--it's much easier to imagine yourself in the
same situation, and something in the brain reacts like we're about to be
eaten by a saber-toothed tiger on the ancient steppes.  Maybe that's
also why I love the old horror films in black and white, but not so much
in color!  :-)

Oh, and Ted, you'll be happy to know that I made sure I was on "empty"
before proceeding to the O.R. :-)   And indeed I did see pretty colors
and funny blobby shapes during the procedure.

--Peter