Subject: [Leica] Technical detail--why?
From: vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko)
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 17:38:46 -0400

Yeah, Nathan

It was interesting that I was browsing the "Photolife" magazine, a
magazine clearly created by the equipment manufacturers and sellers.

Every photo was followed with lens, camera, setting, and some post
processing notes.

Made me think that the only purpose was to capture the crowd that is
thinking "if I buy that lens and camera, I can create that photo too".

And I also heard an artist's talk today, about "The Night sky". He was
telling about one of the amazing "Hubble photos", that it was more a
testimony to man's genius in creating a camera called the "Hubble
telescope", but comparing to his shot of the Milky way, taken at late
night, over Lake Superior.  The Milky way shot evoked much more a sense
of connection and "one with nature", because it didn't take a gizillion
dollars of research and the most unique camera made by man to take.  I
don't even know what camera he used to make the Milky way photo.  But it
was as stunning as the Hubble photo.

And with all that I've said, I'm guilty of being under the influence of
"the tech notes".  I latched onto Leica, Nikon (old) and Hasselblad,
seeing the amazing photos that the photographers (and the brochures)
with that gear took.

Harmful?  No.  Sometimes I like to know what settings I used. Especially
in the darkroom.  Especially if I detect a fault.

...Vick

Replies: Reply from cedric.agie at gmail.com (Cedric Agie) ([Leica] Technical detail--why?)