Subject: [Leica] Sort of on topic - danger in Kiribati
From: john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 01:50:43 +0000

Already flagged, as is Samoa's change of time zone ;-)

john

Snip:

CAMBRIDGE - America's top military officer in charge of monitoring hostile
actions by North Korea, escalating tensions between China and Japan, and a
spike in computer attacks traced to China provides an unexpected answer when
asked what is the biggest long-term security threat in the Pacific region:
climate change.

"The ice is melting and sea is getting higher," Locklear said, noting that
80 percent of the world's population lives within 200 miles of the coast.
"I'm into the consequence management side of it. I'm not a scientist, but
the island of Tarawa in Kiribati, they're contemplating moving their entire
population to another country because [it] is not going to exist anymore."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2013/03/09/admiral-samuel-locklear-co
mmander-pacific-forces-warns-that-climate-change-top-threat/BHdPVCLrWEMxRe9I
XJZcHL/story.html

I'm somewhat troubled by the thought of natural disasters, but my first
thought was, what about For Sale Friday?  Is there a Plan B?

Ken

Replies: Reply from benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney) ([Leica] Sort of on topic - danger in Kiribati)