Subject: [Leica] WTT: 2x APO extenders
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 06:10:46 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

A bit late for friday, sorry.  I have a ROM 2x APO-Extender-R and I want to
trade for a non-ROM 2x APO-Extender-R.

Reason: the spring controlling the aperture control lever.  On the ROM
extender the lever's "at rest" position is "open", as I understand it the
"at rest" position on the non-ROM 2x APO extender is "closed".

For those who will be using the 2x APO extender on the new M or any other
non-R body, the lever on the ROM extender is more convenient if the lens
attached to the extender is also a ROM lens.  The lever on the non-ROM
extender interferes with the ROM contacts on the lens unless the lever is
manually moved out of the way when attaching the lens.  This is less a
problem if the extender is used on an R body because mounting the extender
on an R body will move the lever out of the way.

The ROM extender's disadvantage for me: The "open" at-rest position also may
slow the auto-diaphragm operation, which would explain a problem I had last
weekend with inconsistent exposures when using the ROM extender with the 280
APO.  I'd be perfectly happy without the ROM if I gain consistent
auto-diaphagm operation.  If the extender isn't used on an R body there's no
auto-diaphragm operation anyway, so no loss.

My ROM extender is in excellent condition.  The non-ROM extender I'd rather
have must be APO, a non-APO 2x extender is not interesting to me.  Local
trades preferred.  Off-list please to wildlightphoto (at) earthlink (dot)
net.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com