Subject: [Leica] Canon doesn't see it quite like Mark
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 13:17:56 -0600

On Feb 4, 2013, at 1:06 PM, Frank Filippone wrote:

> Never say never..... at least on availability if a FF 6x6 sensor.....  cost
> and ability to actually own one is a totally different issue....
>
> Look how far (big)  they have come already....   Phase One offers sensor
> sizes of up to 54x40mm.... which is REALLY close to the actual 645 negative
> area
> 6x6 film had an image area of 56x56 ( memory might be off a bit..).. we are
> about 2/3 of the way to that goal .....
>
> Of course, the sensor makers do not know about the concept of "square" so
> maybe it is a bit longer till they figure it out.....

true enough - re: never say never - though
I will continue to doubt it come to be - at least in my lifetime.

Perhaps when the medium format design-heads move to C-mos?
'til then I think we're up against a cost-heat-design-wall.

)though I'm not an engineer - nor do I pretend to be one(

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com