Subject: [Leica] PESO More Italy
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 11:38:58 +1030

Thanks everyone

[Jim]
>Nice work, Marty.  Do they provide an outer skin for the horse?

No, nor do they supply steam powered clockwork innards so it can be
ridden.  I thought a steampunk horse would be awesome.  The man in the
background who made it at first thought I was making mistaken with my
italian, then he just realised I was nuts.

[Phillipe]
>Very interesting artefact indeed.
>BTW Lecce has wonderful light and colours in the Autumn - I loved the
>amazing tones of the sea when there.

Puglia is just beautiful, I had a fantastic time there and the
workshop I attended was amazingly useful for my work.  I intend to
return.

>> Sinti woman, Rome.
>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Europe_2012/Italy/sinti+woman.jpg.html
>Looks fine on the screen, but I really LOVE it slightly darker in
>print in the LUG book - together with the lighter tones and subject of
>the next page - kuddos!

Thanks - yes, the LuG yearbook version is darker and more contrasty.
I also like the darker version, some/most times anyway.  I spent a few
days with a group of Sinti.  This woman demanded money for a photo,
and breaking Tina's rule I gave her some, but I just kept clicking.
This expression was right before she scremed at me that I hadn't given
her enough and that my ancestors and offspring were all accursed.  I
don't follow Sinti language very well, but I think that's what she
said ;-)

>Got more? :-)

Plenty.  I am still trying to figure out what to do with all my photos
of the Sinti.  I occasionally look at Koudelka's 'Gypsies' and think I
probably shouldn't do anything with them.

[Parker]
>I'm new to the group (an old friend of Steve Barbour's) and this is in fact
>my first post.

Welcome Parker!  Thanks for looking.

>The photograph of the Sinti woman is excellent! The tonality
>of both the woman and the background make for a very compelling image- at
>least to my old eye.

Thank you; I spent quite a bit of time working on the tones.  The
.DNGs from the Monochrom are immensely manipulable.

I look forward to seeing your photos.

[Lluis]
>Great work Marty, I love the woman portrait!

Thanks Lluis, it's one of my favourites from the trip.

[Mads]
>Just like Philippe just wrote: I really like your two photos in the LUG
>Yearbook 2012. They are superb, one-by-one. And the combination is
>excellent.

Thanks Mads, I likes the combination too.  Working out how to manage
the camera and the files has taken quite a bit of work, so it's
gratifying to see that people like the output.

Marty