Subject: [Leica] IMG: Pt.Lobos Formations
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 14:47:35 -0800

That is fascinating.....!

I always suspected it was not as easy as taking out of the box and
shooting.......

So how did you get the shims?  And did you do the "calibration" yourself?

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

I found the GG not to be reliable on these technical cameras with medium
format backs. I had been using the ground glass, which, though it looked
sharp, often was not. These sensor are so remarkably flat that even being
off 1/100mm will cause out of focus images. That's why Alpa allows users to
shim the piece that holds the digital back onto their cameras to be adjusted
with shims by 1/100mm. Other digital technical cameras allow you to adjust
the focus point of each lens to the back. The manufacturing tolerance of the
back's mounting plates are not within this range.

The difference between my traded in back and this back was .1mm (the back
had to be positioned .1mm closer).

Replies: Reply from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] IMG: Pt.Lobos Formations)
Reply from rgacpa at gmail.com (Robert Adler) ([Leica] IMG: Pt.Lobos Formations)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] IMG: Pt.Lobos Formations)