Subject: [Leica] Quickie MM test....
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 07:49:05 -0800

We were visiting the East Coast.  Washington DC to be precise.  I could not
avoid the Leica Store.

My wife went the street to the Cow Girl Creamery...  a place for serious
cheese heads. so I was alone to paw the goodies.

I asked the salesman to try out the MM.    He allowed me to try out his MM
with my 50 Summilux.  I had my M9 with me.  I used 2 different memory cards,
but otherwise everything else was about the same.. Of course, the native
mode ISO 250 (M9) vs 320 (MM) was slightly different....

I took a picture of the display window from the inside of the store...

Then converted my M9 shot to B+W in LR4.  All settings for exposure and
contrast were zero'd out.

What I saw on my computer screen, at 1:1, is that the M9 +LR4 does a pretty
incredible job of replicating the MM at this ISO rating.  There were very
small differences in the shadows...

The Salesman had B+W 16x20 prints of the M9 ( could have been the M-E, but
that is a quibbling point) ( how did they get to a B+W image?  Were these FF
or cropped?  Same lens?   I do not know) vs the MM at various ISO.
Comparing the 2 at higher ISO's shows considerably lower noise in the  MM.
At the ISO drops to the more normal 250 or so, the images were pretty
identical.

This is a test I was very interested in.  Results showed that while I lust
for a B+W M, my M9, for me, will suffice.

Asked to see the 50 ASPH Summicron.. they did not have one.  I will try this
again next year..

Walked out with all my money intact, and a free Leica Pen as a present...
The Cheese stop cost me dearly..

Note:  I was surprised to note that the Store actually sells Leica stuff. M,
S, and P+S.  I thought it was a show and tell store only. and if my Wife had
known the truth, I would probably not have been allowed to visit it..!

Frank Filippone

Red735i at verizon.net