Subject: [Leica] Journalist buys a Leica!/Reinvigoration
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 11:01:02 -0600

As someone who learned photography on the job at a commercial studio,
attended a dreaded "art" school that didn't even offer photography (at the
time); earned a BFA degree; taught visual design at Columbia College
Chicago; sold photographs through art galleries; spent 7 years as photo
journalist; photographed for ad agencies, editorial work in various industry
magazines, corporations, annual reports, fashion, products, medical, and
portrait clients; hired and art directed other photographers for my own
graphic design firm -

I find all the posturing "against" the various photographic markets so very
silly.
Most of the photographers we now consider the "masters" worked across
numerous market areas at various times in their careers.

The best illustrators, portraitists, journalists, landscapists,
fashionistas, editorialists, et al have found their way into galleries,
museums and history books; as part of the history of the photographic
medium, the arts and history in general.

What is the point of one photo discipline sniping at another? Especially
when THE VERY BEST of each and every discipline achieves the status "art" if
not "Art" or "ART."

I find the same foolishness occurs with my metal artists and crafts person
friends. If they don't produce sculpture they seem to need to "put down" art
for Art's sake.

Historically those we consider the classical masters of painting were also
portraitists and doing "commercial commissions" for the church. The
engravers did so for illustrated manuscript publication. And it remains so
today - even though it may be on the web; as well as on paper.

a note off the iPad, George