Subject: [Leica] iPad_iCloud
From: drleonpomeroy at verizon.net (Leon Pomeroy )
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 16:49:21 -0500

Spencer Cheng:

I don't trust "The iCloud" at this point in its technical-evolution and
marketing-hype! Your observation of "fairly safe" renders the obvious
inescapable for me at the moment. I do appreciate your thoughts and suppose
my confession of distrust in this context is the clarification you needed.
Thanks Spencer! Dr. Leon Pomeroy, Northern Virginia, USA

Re:

"Can you clarify your question? If you are filling out a form/template on
your iPad with some data and synching the data later back to your computer
(PC or Mac) via a USB cable later, you don't need encryption since nothing
is transmitted over the air.

If you are using iCloud to do your synchronization, your data is fairly
safe. Whether iCloud storage can meet HIPPA requirements is a different
question for which I don't have an answer to. Figuring out the answer to
that question is expensive.

If what you are worried about is loosing your iPad, the simplest solution is
to put a PIN lock on your iPad and enable the "10 wrong PIN guesses, erase
content of iPad" option. That should protect against casual thieves
accessing your patient data.

If the NSA/FBI is after the data on your iPad, just give them the PIN. ;-)

Regards,

Spencer"