Subject: [Leica] IMG: Power stroke AND MORE!!!!!
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 21:46:52 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Ted Grant gushed:

>If my praise seems slightly over done by some of you? Certainly anyone who
>has never handled a 560mm slide barrel Leica lens. I have no doubt you
>would
>be more than surprised, even amazed even more so at Doug's dexterity in
>making this photograph and many others we've enjoyed seeing over the years!

Thanks Ted!  One thing I found was very helpful in making this particular
photograph (and numerous others) was to study the critter long enough to
learn how to anticipate its actions.  At first glance this species would
jump off the water into flight for no apparent reason and without notice but
after watching them long enough I found that their head would tick back a
fraction of an inch a moment before liftoff (perhaps for balance, or for
rotational momentum); this allowed me to pre-focus and to begin following
the bird while its flight was lowest and slowest.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com