Subject: [Leica] IMG: Power stroke
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 19:38:39 -0800

Doug Herr SHOWED:

>A Northern Shoveler demonstrates his power stroke:
> http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/anatidae/noshov03.html
> technical stuff: R8/DMR, 560mm f/6.8 Novoflex Telyt, tripod.  All comments
> welcome.

Hi Doug,
This photograph illustrates not just a beautiful captured moment. But quite
an incredible handling ability image also!

There is a photographic lesson here for many of those who today............
think 99.99% of time in "AUTO EVERYTHING and AUTO FOCUS!!! Everything!
Method in handling of camera gear! Not all, but 99.9%!

As yet I have not seen one comment about your handling of the manual focus
560mm lens to capture this image!

For those of you who have never ever handled the 400mm 6.8 nor the 560mm 6.8
Leica sliding barrel manual focus lens? Please let me explain that what you
are looking at is, an absolutely amazing sharp as a tack photograph of a
flying bird as the "HUMAN BEING" photographer follow manual focused each
move of the bird in flight!

"AUTO FOCUS??????? " Well any idiot can squezee on the shutter button and
the lens is in focus faster than you can spit!

"MANUAL FOCUS????????"  99.99% will miss the shot completely & blow the
focus! That is unless you have lots of manual focus shooting time under your
belt and your lightening swift hands on the lens work like a bolt of
lightening!

So Doug, once again please accept great praise for your ability in handling
lens gear as fast as you do. Quite incredible really!

May the New Year bless you with the same swiftness of ability! And years to
come!
Good on you lad! It's a beauty!

cheers,
ted