Subject: [Leica] NZ PAW 49, 50, 51 and possibly 52
From: john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster)
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 20:00:17 +0000

Don't exist, I failed to make the full year due to illness, I was too weak
to push the buttons on my iPod never mind hold any imaging device!

Tuesday 4th Dec - all normal
Wednesday 5th - wake up with double vision (no other symptoms), go to A+E,
CT scan see neuro and sent home with suspected nerve/muscle issue in left
eye.
Thursday 6th - wake up with normalish vision but wobbly legs, weak hands and
not very good coordination. Off to A+E again where I see the same doctors.
Given a lumbar puncture by the neuro team who think I have Miller-Fisher
Syndrome. Kept in (short stay unit) to see how I go, by late afternoon I am
far worse with arms shaking like bad Parkinsons so they start my IViG
treatment.
Friday 7th - wake up with my arms/hands effectively paralysed and legs not
much better, off for an MRI scan. Diagnoses changed to standard
Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS), my autoimmune system attacking my nerve
covering (myelin sheath) causing problems with nerves and the muscles. Moved
to HDU part of neuro.
Over the weekend my breathing gets shallower, GBS affects the diaphragm
muscles, so I am moved to ICU where I can get intubated quicker if required.
Thankfully not required so after a couple of nights back to normal neuro
ward.
Since then I have been recovering at a very rapid pace; most people take 1-3
weeks to get the symptoms then another 1-3 weeks with no change before and
open-ended recovery time (can be months). I have only been about two weeks
from symptoms to being able to walk again! Expect to make a full recovery
and unlikely to re-occur :-)

I have heard of two costs for the IViG treatment, the lower one would buy a
new M with 2 or 3 lenses and the higher one would be two bodies plus 4
lenses.......Didn't cost me anything over my normal tax bill

john - aged <50

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] NZ PAW 49, 50, 51 and possibly 52)
Reply from leica at jayburleson.com (Jay Burleson) ([Leica] NZ PAW 49, 50, 51 and possibly 52)
Reply from lluisripollquerol at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] NZ PAW 49, 50, 51 and possibly 52)