Subject: [Leica] IMG and FS
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto at earthlink.net)
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 10:37:32 -0500

First the important stuff, new pictures.  Last weekend I visited Sacramento
National Wildlife Refuge about an hour and a half north of Sacramento.  The
refuge is winter home to about a bazillion ducks and geese
(old picture, for illustration purposes)

http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/anatidae/sngo01.jpg

Along with the waterfowl several species of predators winter here including
a few Bald Eagles.

Individual birds' behavior is often as habitual as humans' is: favorite
ponds, favorite perches, favorite hunting tactics.  A Trumpeter Swan, the
first ever seen in Placer County, visited the same unlikely suburban pond
two years in a row during its spring migration.
http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/anatidae/trsw01.html

A Falcated Duck, a siberian species rarely seen in California, returned
this winter to the same Colusa County pond where it was first discovered
last winter.
http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/anatidae/faduck00.html

A Laysan Albatross, very rare in Northern California, has called Point
Arena its winter home for nearly 20 years (no picture).

So it is with eagles too.  I can't tell for certain if this is the same
bird I've seen for the last several winters but it's using the same perches
and returns to the refuge the same time of year every year, and it's as
tolerant of cars on the refuge as previous years' eagles have been.

http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/accipitridae/baeagl05.html

A nearby Red-tailed Hawk didn't take kindly to the idea of having a
competitor in his turf and harassed the eagle, and the eagle responded by
telling the hawk where to go.

http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/accipitridae/baeagl03.html

Now comes the FS part.  As some of you know I had a freak accident with my
primary camera and it went to Allendale, then to Solms.  Yesterday I heard
the news: R8 not economically repairable, DMR not repairable at all.  While
photographing the eagles the backup camera's spot meter died.  This is also
a 'not economically repairable' problem.  I now have no backup and a flakey
primary camera.

In the grand scheme of things this isn't a big deal.  It's not life or
death, not home or homeless, not fed or hungry.  I don't depend on my
camera for my income.  It's just pictures, but I did the math and no camera
= no new pictures and I'm very close to no camera.

I've been offered a suitable replacement at a favorable cost but I rattled
the piggy bank and it sounds quite hollow.  So IMHO this would be a REALY
GOOD TIME for those who would like a gorgeous print of one of my wildlife
photos to speak up.  Print sizes range from 7"x10" to 14"x18", cost from
$50 to $275 (USD) plus shipping.  Ready-to-hang archival framing with
hand-made hardwood frames and acid-free mats is also available and can be
shipped UPS to continental USA locations (extra shipping cost).  Off list
please to wildlightphoto (at) earthlink (dot) net.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

mail2web LIVE ? Free email based on Microsoft? Exchange technology -
http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE