Subject: [Leica] Image scanned with 2 different scanners
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 16:54:27 -0800

617 negs are great, nice and big. Scanning is a (minor) issue.

My default is to use the V700 flatbed which I can make a "contact sheet" of
all 4 frames on a sheet. Convenient to the max. Then I scan the good stuff
using a Betterscanning holder on the V700. The images look quite decent,
even printed 17x22.

http://richardmanphoto.com/PICS/20121109-Scanned-49.jpg

Yesterday, for the heck of it, I used the Nikon-LS9000 and rescanned the
frame - twice then photomerge in Photoshop:
http://richardmanphoto.com/PICS/20121215-Scanned-35.jpg

This misses the right edge a wee bit. If I want that, I have to scan the
image 3 times, which is a PITA.

The post processing work is different so it's a bit apple to orange
comparison, but clearly the new scan has better shadow details. I may print
it very large (22" x 56" or so) and see.

Some of the older Imcaon are now selling for less than the LS-9000 and they
can scan 617 natively. Debating whether to sell the LS-9000 to get one of
those.