Subject: [Leica] Tape backup?
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 05:30:44 -0800

Well one of my 2TB drive in the back up system just gave up the ghost.

I have ~2TB of images right now, and sure to grow

I know there were a few discussions on back up systems for photos, but I
don't think tape back up got much attention. Anyone using it?

I am more or less down to choosing between tape back up or Amazon Glacier.

The nice thing about Glacier is that it is entirely offsite. The major
downside is that while it is much cheaper than other online storage, at
$0.01 per GB per month, with 2TB of data, that's still $240 per year and
will be more as I take more photos.

The nice thing about tape is that it is cheap enough ($60-$100 per 2 TB)
that I can make at least one duplicate copy. The downside is that the
initial equipment purchase costs $1300-$1800 (and up) and I will have to
find an offsite solution.

The default is to continue with hard drive back up. The major problem is
reliability. For business data, I have a a RAID netstation and multiple
back up on different systems, but for photos, doing the same is just not
fiscally viable.

Any thoughts?

--

Replies: Reply from red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Tape backup?)