Subject: [Leica] OT Gun Violence
From: mak at teleport.com (Mark Kronquist)
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 20:43:32 -0800

Gun violence. Time for some sensible legislation

Many of you know my day job, some don't. I am "in the industry" as a Vice
President for the largest manufacturer of firearms in the region. Our
products are far more tightly controlled and not likely to be involved in
one of these incidents.

First, my heart goes out to the victims of these senseless tragedies.

I realize that the AR-15 platform used in Oregon was stolen and the
Bushmaster used in CT was illegal in CT. Not sure about CT handgun laws and
whether the Glock and Sig P226 were CT legal or not. Nor do I know if the
weapons were stolen, purchased legally before the 1994 ban or whatnot. These
are minor issues. Criminals will break the law.

We cannot be Pollyanna's and magically make guns or the Second Amendment
disappear. Face it guns are a part of our society...like it or not. Will
these few ideas end gun crime? No. If a criminal or an mentally ill person
is going to use a gun to commit a crime, they will find a gun...just maybe
these ideas will make it a bit harder and discourage the opportunist.

1. What we can do is get rid of the crazy patchwork of gun laws that ban a
gun in one county or city or state or the purchase of that gun...for example,
the Gifford's shooter in Arizona could not have legally purchased the gun
used int he killings in say, a far left, liberal state called
oh...Idaho...or at least three dozen other states. Why can a mentally ill
(sorry to offend those who don't like labels but call it otheradvantaged,
challenged or whatever the shooter was not of right mind) purchase a hand
gun in Arizona and not in Idaho? Why not have ONE NATIONAL STANDARD FOR
RIFLES? HANDGUNS? CONCEALED CARRY? States rights folks will be up in arms
but, I think the 2nd Amendment makes this a Federal issue, not a state
one...we did it at the FEDERAL LEVEL with the 1934 act banning machine guns
and the 1968 act banning Saturday Night Specials.

2. I just got home from a long day and opened a beer. We pay a social
welfare tax on beer. We pay a social welfare tax on cigarettes. We pay a
social welfare tax on lottery tickets. On chewing tobacco on candy in some
places. Right now any 18 year old can walk into any BiMart, Fred Meyer,
K-Mart, WalMart or wherever and lay down 15-16 bucks for 500 rounds of .22
ammo. Yes I know that .22 is not often used in mass murders and that there
is a 15% excise tax on new ammo but this tax goes to the general fund, not
to offsetting the toll caused by gun violence in our society. So I grant
those arguments and ask is a penny or a nickel a round for rifle ammo going
to hurt hunters that badly? Heck double it and put the other half to hunting
habitat restoration through Rocky Mountain Elk or Ducks Unlimited.

3. Scary guns and pretty guns are just as deadly in the wrong hands. My
French 49-56 MAS Battle Rifle holds only 10 rounds per clip and has a
beautiful, wood stock and lacks a pistol grip, muzzle compensator or other
cosmetics that were banned in the US from 1994-2004. Yet in the wrong hands
it is far more deadly than a .223/5.56 (the most common M-16 AR-15 platform
round)...and the MAS makes it easy as easy to change a magazine in about 2
seconds...unclip, drop, clip, rerack shoot. Capacity limits are do-good
fiction. 10 rounds (the 1994-2004 maximum) are just as deadly as 30 and
changing any mag takes just a second or two...in a mall or school filled
with innocents it's not going to matter.

4. Driver's license. Motorcycle License. Food Server's Food Handling Permit,
Alcohol Server's License. On and on and on. Gun. Walk in to a gun shop slap
down ten bucks for a basic background check and we give you the keys to an
Indy Car...Yes a Libertarians' nightmare. Why not REQUIRE a national
standard handgun safety class to buy a handgun (pass the class once, you
receive a license as counterfeit proof as currency (will a criminal copy it?
Sure. Will a 15 year old gang banger (again sorry to offend) No.) Why not a
hunting safety class for a rifle purchase and a national class and standard
for concealed carry as well...and, yes, please NRA, you guys are great at
gun safety, please teach and profit from the classes.

My 2 cents.

I am sure many disagree. Disagree with dignity and finesse. We all have
opinions...please share yours.

Thank you

Mark

Replies: Reply from lew1716 at gmail.com (Lew Schwartz) ([Leica] OT Gun Violence)