Subject: [Leica] Desensitization
From: drleonpomeroy at verizon.net (Leon Pomeroy )
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2012 21:44:16 -0500

I agree with you Lew. Nothing supports your views more than the historic
"Kitty" Genovese murder of March 13, 1964. This woman was repeatedly stabbed
to death in front of her Queen's home while neighbors watched.for reasons
you allude to. Psychologists have studied this case and refer to the
"bystander effect." They talk and write about the "Genovese Syndrome." It's
dynamics are a constant and as old as humankind. We're not going to the dogs
in this regard. It not getting better or worse: it is what it is and has
always been. Introductory textbooks present the case without fail. However,
this is a special case (level) of desensitization of interest to both
sociologists and psychologists. I was referring to another level of
desensitization that is growing, interpersonal, in-your-face alienation with
a tendency to treat others more as "things" than person's possessed of
individuality and uniqueness. I'll stop here given the rules of this forum
vs. the other forum. Thanks for sharing. Feel free to contact me off list.
Leon drleonpomeroy at verizon.net Northern Virginia, USA.Leica M5, 50mm
Noctilux F1.2, Fuji X Pro1, Canon 40D Zooms

"I respectfully disagree, Leon. I have been thinking about this for some
time. The idea of desensitization is central to Susan Sontag's criticism of
Arbus' work and others, including numerous war photographs and photos of
atrocities. In my opinion, it's just plain wrong. It is a nice sentiment we
share among ourselves and our friends that we are altruistic enough to
Intervene in such situations, yet, most often, no one does. What seems to
happen is that standers by, who cannot tell whether the aggressor is
justified or just crazy, retire to a safe distance and watch.  The
photographer in this case did more than anyone else, and, other motives
aside, in so doing reminded us of how isolated and indifferent we can all

be to each other. Lew Schwartz"

Replies: Reply from lew1716 at gmail.com (Lew Schwartz) ([Leica] Desensitization)