Subject: [Leica] DNG compression???
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 12:39:59 -0800

Hi LUGers,

I'm looking for some enlightenment from anyone who knows. The question has
to do with the size of Leica DNG files. Back in August, 2010, I had a set of
DNGs all but one of which were 36.4 MB in size.  All of those taken the same
afternoon at the same general location. Similarly, using Leica's
compression, in December, 2011, I found a set of DNGs taken the same day, at
18.3 MB.

Then, in November, 2011, there was a set taken the same day, where the file
sizes varied from 19.6 to 23.1 MB. Was this a result of a firmware update in
which Leica probably introduced LOSSLESS compression? To round up the
picture, I found a set in August, 2012, where the size range was 8.5 to 10.3
MB, undoubtedly where I set "compressed DNG" on the camera.

Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org
650-326-8204

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] DNG compression???)