Subject: [Leica] Sarcasm filter on...
From: leica at jayburleson.com (Jay Burleson)
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 14:25:04 -0800

Capture a Light-Field and Digitally Manipulate It, It'll Last Longer
BY LORE SJ?BERG 12.03.12

Original at:
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/12/alt-text-light-field-camera

Cameras have, for over a hundred years, occupied kind of a strange place
in the pop-tech landscape. Capable of producing sublime fine art, yet
more often used to produce largely indistinguishable pictures of
preschoolers crying while wearing a party hat, it's hard to name another
medium that would create such a high-profile gap between high art and
painful dreck until the invention of karaoke in the '80s.

Since the Brownie camera came out --- around the time President McKinley
and Queen Victoria died unexpected and extremely expected deaths
respectively --- there have been various technological attempts to
bridge that gap and make a camera that turns anyone into Ansel Adams or
Annie Leibovitz without having to develop film, learn what an F-stop is,
or look at Iggy Pop naked.

One of the major steps toward this ideal was, of course, the creation of
the instant camera, which put the entire process of photography, from
film to picture to your grandchildren going through the photos in the
attic after you're dead and wondering who the crying child in the party
hat is, into the hands of the end user. It also gave OutKast a killer hook.

Part of the success of the Polaroid camera, of course, is that the
creators had the foresight to make sure the resulting pictures strangely
off-color and overexposed, giving them what reporter Edward R. Murrow
called "a hip, retro look, evoking the mix of nostalgia and alienation
that characterized, you know, right now." Influential Depression-era
photographer Dorothea Lange expressed her hope that in sixty years the
aesthetic of the Polaroid would be adopted by millions of
upper-middle-class young people and incorporated into photos of their
new back tattoos.

The most recent addition to the pantheon, or perhaps parthenon (I always
get those mixed up) of photograph technology is the "light-field"
camera, which takes a picture where you can digitally adjust the focus
of the photo after the fact. This brings us closer to the point where no
thought or consideration has to be put into a photo at all, which of
course will increase the quality of amateur photography tenfold. It will
also allow people to claim that traditional, fixed-focus photos are
"warmer" and spend thousands of dollars on recreations of plastic-lens
point-and-shoots so they can brag to their friends.

I do hope that this trend continues, and that future cameras will
further eliminate the need to make decisions while taking photos.
Presumably at some point technology will be so advanced, and storage so
cheap, that we'll just continually take 360-degree photos of every event
we go to, and then advanced photographic AI will sort through them to
find shots where your friends are passed out in funny positions.

And, at some point beyond that, our lives will be routinely recorded and
automatically uploaded to social networks, along with plaintive begging
for people to "like" them. There are, of course, profound privacy and
cultural issues that tag along with such panoptical technology, but I
think we can all agree that it will lead to some really cute cat pictures.

;-)
--
Jay,

Want to be a better photographer?
Stand in front of more interesting things...
Jay Burleson Gallery <http://jayburleson.com/leica/gallery/index.php/>

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Sarcasm filter on...)