Subject: [Leica] Visit to South Bay Railroad Historical Society
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 22:40:18 -0800

Last Saturday morning, a couple of my colleagues at the Computer History
Museum visited this site during an open house. One of them was Steve
Russell, famous for being the inventor of what was probably the first ever
video game: Space War. This was at MIT, and it is now obvious that he was
also involved with the famous MIT Model RR Club. So what I heard was that
Steve, when visiting the tower at the Santa Clara Caltrain station, had the
docents there with jaws agape as he explained the mechanical logic that
would lock levers at the appropriate time to prevent sending one train on a
track occupied by another.

I was not willing to join him that Saturday morning, because I was working
at the Museum all that afternoon, but the next day I paid a visit to the
location and took a few shots.

This is a view of the old control tower
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/L1002564.jpg.html

Here is where, for unexplained reasons, I was waiting at the foot of the
stairs.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/L1002566.jpg.html

And also waiting, was this photogenic family
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/L1002567.jpg.html

Finally we were called, and the explanation was that they didn't want more
than three people at a time on the stairs. This is a few from the tower.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/L1002569.jpg.html

The docent was this old feller.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/L1002570.jpg.html

I was overjoyed to see this relic of times begone; it was once my favorite
typewriter. For those too young to know what that was: a typewriter was a
pre-historic mechanism for producing legible documents.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/L1002570.jpg.html

I then trekked to the other building which housed a model RR layout. Here
are two views of portions of it.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/L1002579.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/L1002587.jpg.html

And, finally, some young-uns--