Subject: [Leica] PESO: sharpness is a bourgeois concept
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 19:11:47 +0100

I have sometimes used the above phrase in jest, but there really is
something to it.

I took this picture in Barcelona last week. The story behind the picture is
that our office was hosting the trademark offices from the US, Japan, China
and Korea for an annual meeting of the so-called TM5 group. The first day of
meetings, Tuesday, was followed by a walking tour of Barcelona?s old city
and then dinner. As we were walking out of our hotel, it was slightly
drizzly, so most people took umbrellas with them. Within 10 minutes the
drizzle turned into a very serious downpour and any thoughts of looking at
the old city were replaced by thought of shelter, any kind of shelter. In
the end we made our way to La Boquer?a, a covered food market, from where we
took taxis to the restaurant.

Along the way, I photographed a small group of our visitors being led across
Pla?a de Catalunya by Lynn, one of our employees:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/belgiangator/misc/20121030-L1008298.jpg.html

Lynn absolutely loves this picture, and so do others to whom she has shown
it.  I am going to have it printed for her. Do I wish it were sharper? Of
course! But I do not believe it is particularly "damaged" by not being
sharp. It sort of adds to the ambience, I think--and so do lots of others,
apparently.

The lesson? Maybe none, but I think it is something along the lines of "just
take the damn picture"!

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman