Subject: [Leica] A walk in Bixby Park
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 14:59:50 -0700

Bixby Park is in Palo Alto, adjacent to San Francisco Bay. Palo Alto
recently abandoned its garbage dump, an eysore, sometimes a smellsore, but
often a seagull heaven. Our garbage is now being trucked to a more fortunate
town, and Bixby Park is being extended into the former dump--it's a work in
progress.

Recently, I saw a notice that there was a new geocache in Bixby park, and I
set out. It appeared to be well into the newlyexteded portion.

First, we go up the hill.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/L1002517.jpg.html

The park is full of strange artwork. Those stones are an example, but
theoretically functional, as they are said to point to the runway threshold
(for the prevailing wind).
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/L1002518.jpg.html

Another piece of artwork.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/L1002521.jpg.html

I take the most plausible branch in the trail and run into this, with the
cache 0.13 miles straight ahead.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/L1002523.jpg.html

A view on the way back.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/L1002524.jpg.html

On the way back, I saw the trail branch I should have taken, but it was an
extra half mile round trip and it was getting late, so I decided to leave it
for Friday, when I will have a companion.

C&C welcome.

Herb

Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org