Subject: [Leica] Substitute for my Panasonic Lumix FZ-18
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 10:13:15 -0400

A timely question. For me, it depends on the purpose of the journey. For
many people, catching a great shot when traveling is a byproduct of the
journey (right place, right time). For them, any camera they have with them
works fine. Some people will carry their dSLR with the 2Kg zoom attached.
Others are perfectly happy with their phone cam. For others, the opportunity
to take the next great photo is the purpose of the journey. Lugging around a
few bodies and 8 prime lenses is just the price.

We just came back from riding our tandem in Provence. I took a M8 and a
Tri-Elmar instead of a Panasonic P&S I usually take to see if it works. I am
not really happy because the combination is heavy (we are carrying
everything on a bike so weight and size matters), the lens is too slow for
any low light work and 1.3X multiplication factor turns the 28 into a 35mm.

So I am looking for a travel camera. Any suggestions other than a current
generation M? I like to have a viewfinder (optical preferred but good EVF
will do), either a fast wide zoom or interchangeable lenses (bonus if it can
use M lenses so I don't have to buy more lenses), very good image quality
and reasonable light weight. Given the constant vibration on a bike, the
camera should be very robust.

I suspect I should be looking at EVIL cameras. Am I correct?

Regards,
Spencer