Subject: [Leica] TECHNICAL QUESTION?????????
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 14:03:59 -0400

Dr. Ted,

If you are planning to travel out of Canada relatively frequently, consider
buying an unlocked (and unsubsidized ) iPhone directly from Apple either at
their store or on Apple's online store. It cost more ($650 vs ~$200) but it
gives you much greater freedom and saves $$$ in the longer term if you are
planning to be out of country for a few weeks at a time.

I will also suggest you wait until Sept when iPhone 5 will likely be
released. Then you have a choice of a newer and shinier toy or buying a
cheaper iPhone 4s (since the price on the 4s will probably get bumped down
as it is last year's model).

[Now some technical gobbledygook :)]

The subsidized iPhones you can get from Rogers/Telus/Bell/Fido/.. are all
SIM-locked which means you cannot use any other carrier's SIM card. This in
turn means you are going to be paying an arm and a leg to use the phone if
you decide to, say, go to Spain to visit Nathan et al for a few weeks. We
are talking $1-$2/minute for a local call (make or receive a call). If the
phone is SIM-unlocked, then Nathan et al can help you buy a local Spanish
SIM card which can save a lot of money if you actually need to use the phone
while in Spain.

And if you try to use 3G data out of country to say upload a photo to LUG
gallery or Picasa while roaming, highway robbery is the most polite term I
could use. :)

Send me an email privately if you would like some clarification. This is an
issue that is specific to Canada (and USA to a certain extent).

/sc

Message from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] TECHNICAL QUESTION?????????)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] TECHNICAL QUESTION?????????)