Subject: [Leica] LR4 cvt to bw
From: wtorry at vbar.com (Wayne Torry)
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 13:05:07 +0000

Lew,

I convert digital to B&W sparingly. As I still shoot a lot of B&W film in
various formats, digital is my color medium. However, I did purchase an
inexpensive set of Photoshop Actions and have used these with what I believe
to be good results. The only drawback I found is that each original RAW file
requires a trial & error hunt through the whole lot. That is probably due
entirely to my unfamiliarity with Photoshop & B&W digital conversion. I much
prefer to get my B&W the correct way. Grinning.
I wouldn't expect Tri-X/Plus-X/HP5/Pan F/Efke/Fomapan/Tmax/etc. results from
digital. Since I work in both media interchangeably & use all of the
previously mentioned emusions, I can spot the real silver image in my work
every time. I'm not saying that it isn't possible to make stunning B&W
conversions. I have friends who do can do it. As good as they are, they
don't look like film. Your results may be different.

B&W Actions:

<http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/TLRB&WConversion.htm>

<http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/TLRB&WToning.htm>

Westley Clavey's LUG Gallery. Most of Westley's newest work is digital
conversion.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/wclavey/>

I am not a fan of the presets that ship with Lightroom. Have you tried them?
They are listed on the left panel in the Develop module.
Good luck! Share your results if you find something you like.

Wayne

Message: 6