Subject: [Leica] IMG: Airport July 31
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 19:27:38 -0500

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 6:22 PM, <tedgrant at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Choppers aren't any different than fixed wing aircraft. Not the least bit
> scary. I can't imagine anyone saying they are scary! Best "air-ride" you
> can have for fun and travel! :-) Other than in full auto-rotation into the
> arctic ocean and water flying in the doorway because the door was off for
> aerial photos of a couple of ice breakers. :-)

Dang!  I didn't know we had that in common!  I was shooting for CBS in the
Gulf once and we lost power and barely had enough altitude to autogyro in.

Unfortunately, the Jet Ranger's pontoons didn't fully inflate, so it was
kinda tough getting onto the work barge that came to our rescue.   I passed
my gear up to a deckhand, and then he held out his hand for me to grasp.
That guy lifted me right, off the pontoon (boots full of water) onto the
barge.  That deck was higher than my head!

The chopper was out of commission, and I understand pretty messed up with
so much salt water.  One other helicopter was nearby, but was full of crew,
so I sent my film back on it and took a crew boat back.

When I got in touch with the newsroom, first thing they asked was if my
camera was OK!

--
Regards,

Sonny