Subject: [Leica] Uncle Ted.. Can you comment?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 08:18:26 -0700

Frank Filippone ASKED:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Uncle Ted.. Can you comment?

>I broke the link when I copied it... here in TinyURL fashion.....
> > http://tinyurl.com/bsnglzs

Hi Frank,
Well I'll have ago at them in order. I'll try to keep the comments brief.
There are 27 by number. :-) I'll do a bunch, but not all at the moment as
time is a bit tight this morning. Here goes:
1/
Sometimes a single "pool" photographer. Pool in this case means his photos
are available for every agency use. And nothing to do with being in the
"under water pool."  Or underwater windows along the pool sides are allotted
usually to the "Agency of the Games" Quite possibly "GETTY IMAGES" who have
some kind of "their photographers get preference over all others"... IE:
They have a deal with the IOC & supply "pool photogs" (nothing to do with
water) for every event and have first choice on all photo positions. Quite
often the only photogs allowed in special shooting positions.

2/
 I particularly like this simply because it's such an interesting angle for
"Synchro-diving" as it shows both hitting the water in perfect unison."

3/
The photog isn't thinking one iota about shooting this or it's gone.
Strictly instinct re-action as the gun goes and he probably hit the motor
drive button. But it could be just one twitch of his forefinger as the gun
sounded. The photographers re-action must be as fast as the swimmer out of
the blocks or pushing off the pool side!

4/
Pairs diving is one of the hardest to make successful images illustrating
them in syncro position as we see here. Unless you are in a position
somewhere between board and water where you get a shot like this straight at
them. Shooting from pool side is in most cases wasted time. Not always, but
most of the time. Bonus here is the Olympic logo in the background as that
is the identifying symbol of where the shot was taken. That's something one
looks for in the background and you try to have athlete and logo in the
photo.

5/
See above!

6/
Some might find this interesting but it's a nothing shot today with the
high-speed motor drives!~ All the photographer has to do is focus on an
archer about to release his arrow , squeeze on shutter button and the camera
fires a stream of frames. Photog chimps images.... finds arrow! Then does it
a few more times to give him a variation of where the arrow is good, bad or
not there at all!

7/
Love  it! Imaginative shot as we rarely see wide angle views such as this in
Fencing. Most are tight in yer face sword to body type images

8/
Lunging at your competitor in this fashion or somewhat like it is always
looked for. But you must be fast on the trigger because they are all over
the place back & forth. The moment they start you never take your eye out of
the viewfinder!!

9/
In every sport the most important final image is catching the "JUBILATION"
of the winner or winners in a team sport. And also the visuals of the loser
if any expressions. But winner is an always go for.

10/
See above! Sometimes in a single athlete event the loser can be far greater
in drama than a winner!

11/
See above again for the winner shot! Miss this and your competitor news
agency has it! And you don't??? OUCH !!

12/
JUDO, WRESTLING, and like fighting is easier to shoot as they pretty well
stay on the matt. And medium length lenses are easier to use than the
300-400 etc. But have a long one as a good boy scout motto.... "ALWAYS BE
PREPARED!"

OK crew that's about it for the moment as I must move on.  If you find this
somewhat interesting? I will try to finish the rest later this morning. If
it's just beating my finer tips on the keys? Please let me know. Thank you

Thanks for asking Frank.

cheers,
Dr. ted :-)

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Uncle Ted.. Can you comment?)