Subject: [Leica] Alkehornet
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 09:05:17 +0530

Alkehornet is a cliff where birds (kittiwakes, puffins, etc) have nesting
colonies right on top. The name comes from the fact that the bird cliff in
the foreground looks like an Elk's Horn seen side on. At the bottom of the
cliff is typical tundra habitat, spongy to walk on, where you can sink
thigh deep without any warning. Reindeer and Arctic Foxes dot the landing
area - we saw a family of the latter at their den which consisted of the
couple and at least 8 pups! We also saw a pod of 50+ Belugas in Isfjorden
in the distance - too far to photograph, but enjoyable to watch through
binoculars. Here are two panoramas - one wide, and one tight. The first one
in B&W had considerable variation in the blue of the sky, which is why I
have chosen to make the sky very dark - it also has the additional
advantage of giving a pop to the snow covered cliffs alongside. I also used
a modicum of "Content Aware Fill" to compensate for my hand held panorama
technique:

Alkehornet B&W:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Panoramas/Svalbard/P18BWF.jpg.html

Alkehornet Colour:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Panoramas/Svalbard/P19F.jpg.html

Please see LARGE

Comments and criticism, as ever, welcome.

Cheers
Jayanand

Replies: Reply from bjq1 at mac.com (Bernard Quinn) ([Leica] Alkehornet)
Reply from rgacpa at gmail.com (Bob Adler) ([Leica] Alkehornet)