Subject: [Leica] Nikon forum advice (OT!)
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 16:05:23 -0700

I have been using the 24-120/4 for about 11 months now.  I can't say I am
thrilled with the results, though I like the reach.  I was experiencing some
mechanical problems with the lens.  If I grabbed the front ring and wobbled
it, there was a lot of play and it did not improve it I racked the lens in
to the 24mm position.  And while walking around, the lens developed quite a
bit of creep from when I first got it. I sent it to Nikon for a look.   I
also had them look at the focus, because it does not behave like any Zoom
lens I have ever had.  If I am in focus at 24mm, and I zoom out to some
other focal length, the focus shifts.  And vice versa.  It was terribly
frustrating in Yosemite a few months ago when shooting the moonbow at
midnight.  I could never get the focus correct, so I slapped on the Leica
35-70, set it to infinity, and the day was saved, albeit at a shorter focal
length.

 I sent the lens back to Nikon and just got it back a few weeks ago. They
said everything was just fine.  No problems.  The must have lubed it a bit,
as the lens barrel does not wobble or creep as much as it did.  I suspect
that will return as I break it in again.  It still focus shifts dramatically
when you zoom in or out.  I guess it is designed that way.  An old variable
focus design in a new lens.

As far as image quality, it is OK, but not what I would expect from a $1200
lens.  Been spoiled by my 35-70/4 Leica R zoom.  that lens is a very nice
lens.  Of course, it is a 2x zoom vs a 5x zoom, so I would expect it to be
better.  But it also is in focus at whatever the focusing ring says, and if
you zoom in and out the focus does not change.  A true, high quality zoom.

Aram