Subject: [Leica] IMG: Pied-biled Grebe
From: montoid at earthlink.net (Montie)
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 15:55:27 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

>>This time of year the Sierra Valley (California highway 89 north of
>>Truckee) is a spectacular area for breeding birds.  The valley is entirely
>>private ranch property, but the community is very aware of the importance
>>to wildlife of the area.

Marble Hot Springs road, where I spent Saturday, cuts across the valley and
through marshes fed by the springs.

One of the highlights of the day was a family of Pied-billed Grebes: an
adult and four half-grown chicks.  I saw no sign of the other adult.

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/podicipedidae/pbgreb05.html

One of the grebe chicks' favorite games is called Hop On Pop, even if it's
really Mom:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/podicipedidae/pbgreb06.html

Grebes often carry their chicks on their backs, but these were getting big
enough that the game will soon be over.

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/podicipedidae/pbgreb07.html

The chicks are constantly looking for a handout:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/podicipedidae/pbgreb08.html

A family portrait:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/podicipedidae/pbgreb09.html

Technical stuff:  R8/DMR, shoulder stock, hiding inside an old blue truck.
Second photo made with 560mm f/6.8 Novoflex Telyt, others made with 280mm
f/4 APO + 2x APO-Extender-R.  All comments welcome.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com