Subject: [Leica] 50 Summilux Asph on X Pro 1
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&E Cummer)
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 14:18:58 -0700

Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 11:30:58 -0700
From: Steve Barbour <steve.barbour at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Leica] 50 Summilux Asph on X Pro 1
To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>

On Jun 8, 2012, at 9:08 AM, H&ECummer wrote:

> Hello Luggers,
> Here is a picture of my eldest daughter, Anna, who is Miss O's mum.
> Taken with the 50mm Summilux Asph on the Fuji X Pro 1.
> ISO 3200 1/250 f5.6 processed in CS5.
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Family/Annaw.jpg.html
>
> http://tinyurl.com/85bqe59
>
> Please look large to check out the noise levels in the black areas.
> You can't achieve that with an M9 at ISO 3200.

hi Howard, could you please give us the skinny details here?

ie re adapter , how to do it, easy/hard, did you enjoy the experience   etc

thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve (and Nathan, too)
The adapter I used was the Made in China one, mentioned several weeks ago,
that wouldn't allow infinity focus and I have since sent it back for a
refund.
It fit fine and was well made and the Leica lenses attached without
difficulty* but the adapter was too thick by a micron or two and so no
infinity focus.
*do be careful attaching the Tri Elmar - it got stuck on the adapter and had
to be removed very carefully.
Set the X Pro 1 to shoot without lens (Shooting menu #3). Set the focusing
to manual (front left - looking from the back of the camera).
The LCD and EVF brighten as you shut the lens down so you don't have to
focus wide open but, of course, you can.
I shot my daughter's picture at F5.6 so the whole face would be in focus
eyes, nose, ears.
To help with focus push the command dial (next to the view mode button on
the back) and you will get a 10X magnified image.
This is helpful but magnifies the movement of hand held viewing 10X which
makes it not easy to verify steady exact focus. YMMV depending on how steady
you are.
Still, it can be done and the very competent Summilux draws very nicely on
the Fuji sensor as you can see.
I am waiting for the Fuji adapter which I am sure will be better and have
settings for 6 Leica lenses.
But, in conclusion I would say that, for my use, the Fuji AF lenses are so
good and their ease of operation may override the great drawing qualities of
the Leica lenses.
I need more time with a proper adapter to really form a final opinion.
Howard

Replies: Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] 50 Summilux Asph on X Pro 1)