Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Tour of California 2012 bicycle race
From: oliverbryk at comcast.net (Bryk Oliver)
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 15:09:52 -0700

Nathan wrote:

"I really like it when the Vuelta passes near Alicante every September
(because of the summer heat in Spain, it is always the last of the big 3
races). Last year I was lucky to see the 1st stage start on the beach in
Benidorm and then see them pass through our neighbourhood the next day.
Cheers,
Nathan"

Philippe wrote:

"This one
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OBRYK/Tour+2012/L1011687.JPG.html
is the best of the lot even if not that sharp - it's dynamic and well
composed and you clicked just when it works.

thanks for sharing
Philippe, waiting for the Tour de France to pass behind his windows
this year."

Thank you for your comments.
I knew that the racers, escorts, and the peleton coming downhill would have
little relative motion with respect to the lens axis but would require
considerable depth of field. Once the race had entered the turn they would
have a lot of relative motion but require only limited depth of field;
therefore I changed to continuous exposure.
I had to stay on the sidewalk; the street is about 12 meters (38 feet) wide.
I took only the 24mm because I made a deliberate compromise between blurry
focus and blurry motion. I cropped about 75% of the original image sizes for
the shots that I posted.

Oliver