Subject: [Leica] I'm back
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 17:38:02 -0400

Just back from a week in Portland Oregon picking out the real bulk of my
stuff. As Zen a guy as I can be in this little apartment in Manhattan its
like to have ones stuff.
Like my 60mm 2.8D Macro lens which is on my camera now.
My clogs. A bunch of CD's I'd not realized would easily fit on my iPod....

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/springdays/080517_195130.jpg.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/6qtn7z9

I took this shot on the subway platform the year I got here 6 years ago.
5/17/08, 7:51:30 PM, in the subway platform NY, 24.0 mm f/2.8D
Its  a double exposure blur effect special. I'll tell you about it later if
anyone looks at it.

When I did a search for May 17th I see that this was the week I first left
Portland in my Van with satellite dish on roof with dog. I got a shot from
Tillamook where my car blew out on me and I was stuck there a few days maybe
I'll post those but I want to go outside and play. With my 60 macro.

Somebody asked which are the key lenses for the R system and I've always
said when this question has been brought up numerous times on the lug over
the past dozen or so years the 60 macro.

A big inspiration for me photo wise has been Sebasti?o Salgado and his 60
was superglued to his Leica R6.2 during the film age. A longish normal with
the ability to get right in there like nobodies business and excel doing
that.
Mine would be the Nikon version of that lens. Only AF.
And mine goes all the way to 1:1! A Feature I'm sure I've used never.
I can take a picture of something which is 24x36mm's big!
Most macros' only go 1:2.
Its great to be back "home".!

When I was just reading about Hassy H glass one tidbit I ran into was the
interesting fact that they are not optimized at infinity like every non
macro lens see the beginning of time (1839).
But as working distances.
So a guy was showing though test results that the Fujinon H lens can do
better than my beloved Zeiss 100 3.5. As my Zeiss was optimized at infinity
(a long way away) and the Fujinon was optimized at "studio distance" which
sounds to me like further waay than macro lens which I think is one meter
away but closer than infinity. Which, lets face it, takes a long time to get
to by foot. And in a rocket ship you need to have that warp nine feature an
added extra few can afford.

The same guy I'm sure others read this was saying the H glass was not just
made by Fujinon and than the people who own Hasselblad used them for their
camera system. But the Hassy people were real hand on on the glass design
and mechanical design. A thing the were not about to do with uncle Carl
(Zeiss). As he would have thought such input quite humorous.

Oh at the holiday in in downtown and or NY Portland you can get emails but
you cant send them.
That's why no me on the lug the past week.
I'm sure Brian was all set to close it down till I got back but got elsewise
occupied.

I got my 80-200 4.5-5.6D back too! Its compact so I can just about do what
I'd been doing will my old D200 and my 55-200. Only now with my D700 full
frame. Something far away? I'm all over it....!!!
An 80-200 zoom on a 35mm SLR has been one of the more useful hunks of glass
ever made for the format since the 60's.
Gotta go or I'm never come back...

- - from my iRabs.
Mark Rabiner
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/springdays/